Michael W. Sheehan
Location: New London, Connecticut
Email: Email Me
Attorney Michael W. Sheehan has been a member of the Connecticut Bar since 1989. Attorney Sheehan regularly represents numerous lending institutions, businesses, and individuals in areas ranging from multi-million dollar commercial transactions to residential financing, foreclosures, commercial workouts, bankruptcy, and collection litigation matters. Since 2010, Attorney Sheehan has been selected annually as one of the few Connecticut attorneys serving on the Connecticut Standards of Title Committee for the Connecticut Bar Association. This prestigious committee is charged with promulgating the real estate title standards used by the Connecticut Bar and the courts.
Attorney Sheehan has represented the lead construction lender in financing a $25 Million hotel conference center as well as the participation of said loan; the $30 Million construction to permanent financing of a 300 unit apartment complex; the $28 Million financing of the environmental remediation and construction of a mixed-use condominium, marina and single family home development. He has also represented lenders and developers in the financing and re-financing of many other condominium developments, apartment buildings, hotels, and office and retail projects. In conjunction with these matters, he has experience in dealing with environmental issues related to real estate.
Attorney Sheehan also has extensive courtroom experience and has litigated thousands of cases ranging from the workout and foreclosure of multi-million dollar mortgage loans, to basic residential foreclosures and collection of unsecured debts. He has also represented clients in numerous bankruptcy matters including two rare Chapter 12 filings, and the recovery of lottery winnings for victims of a Ponzi scheme. He also regularly represents the firm's municipal clients in financing, tax foreclosures and real estate litigation.
In addition to his bachelors and law degrees, Attorney Sheehan holds an MBA degree and has experience in working for Connecticut's largest commercial lender prior to becoming an attorney. Attorney Sheehan was sworn in as a member of the bar of the United State Supreme Court in Washington, DC in May, 2018. The motion for admittance was heard be all of the justices of the Court, and Chief Justice John Roberts granted the motion. Attorney Sheehan is also a member of the Connecticut State and Federal Bar.
- College of the Holy Cross – BA 1982
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute – MBA 1986
- University of Connecticut School of Law – JD 1989
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Transactions
- Residential Financing
- Commercial Workout
- Bankruptcy Collection Litigation
- Environmental Issues Related to Real Estate
- Foreclosures and Collections
- Connecticut, State and Federal - 1989
- United States Supreme Court - 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Connecticut Bar Association, Member, 1989 - Present
- Connecticut Bar Association, Standards of Title Committee 2010 – Present
- New London County Bar Association – 1989 - Present
Pro Bono Activities
- Children’s Museum of Southeastern Connecticut, Board of Directors, 2000 - 2005
- Board of Directors, New London Rotary Club, 2002 – 2005
- Friends of Oswegatchie Hills Nature Preserve Board of Directors – 2018 - Present
- Black Hall Club – Board of Directors – 2013 – Present
- East Lyme Little League Coach – 1996 – 2001
- East Lyme Youth Basketball Coach – 1996 - 2005